Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Holly Hudspeth: Hard-Headed, Passionate, and Dedicated

Part II of Holly Hudspeth starts now! More on Holly's riding philosophy, babies, and how romance translates in the world of 3-Day Eventing.

Q. Do you think being married makes life as an upper-level rider easier or harder?

A. I would say it’s almost easier because he’s very supportive of everything I do. He tries to come to every single horse show. It’s comforting to know there’s someone on your side. I had him listed as an owner on Stewie’s passport as soon as we married and that was important to him.


Holly and Chuck. I love Holly is practically glowing!

photo courtesy of Sandals


Q. What’s the most romantic thing he’s done?

A. He’s very romantic. When we got engaged it was on the beach and he had roses and strawberries and champagne delivered to the room. He’s a very thoughtful person. He was the one that found the trailer with the living quarters. He tries very hard to give me things and do things that are thoughtful.


Q. How would he describe you?

A. He always says I’m hardheaded. I think he would describe me as hardheaded but also dedicated and passionate about what I do.


Q. How does he feel about the horses?

A. Oh he’s very excited about it. Even though he’s never been a horse person. He knows now when I’m too slow on cross country. He's like if you’d done xyz you would have won-he knows enough to give me a little advice. It’s great to have him there and he truly enjoys watching us compete.


I love this picture because I think it shows Holly's spirit and pluck. Cute.

photo courtesy of Sandals


Q. What’s your philosophy on teaching? Riding?

A. The biggest thing is not skipping any steps. If there’s a hole somewhere you got to go back and fill it in. If you skip a step you will get caught out at some point. You have to be as well rounded as possible. If there’s a hole you’ve got to go back and fill it in. You gotta have your big picture.


Q. Is your barn organized or messy?

A. I’m a complete neat freak by heart. I’m very funny about my tack. The bits come off the bridles everyday to get clean. We wash the saddle pads everyday and the horses need to be groomed every day. That’s when you miss nicks and bumps when you don’t do that. I run a tight ship when it comes to maintenance on my trailer. I don’t do anything half ass to tell you the truth.


Q. Do you have any pets?

A. Chuck and I have two yellow labs. One is named Tug and the other Lance.


Above: Lance looking sporty


Q. Where do you want to go with Stewie?

A. Chuck and I want to have a family in 2010. So I’m going to get through Rolex and then we’d like to do that. After that I’d love for him to be my next Olympic horse.


Q. Anything else you want to add?

A. I love to cook and I love to be on the water. At the end of the day I don’t do horses 24-7 even though I’m competitive as I am. I like to do normal people things and that’s why Chuck is a huge benefit to me. He’d non-horsey and when you work so hard it’s nice to have a little reality.


If you want to get to know Holly even more check out her website, PRO (she's a board member), or go to Eventing Nation for some more coverage. And feel free to post comments, ideas, reactions, and thoughts below. The more the merrier!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin